Diamond Fire Department warns the public of the hidden dangers associated with candle use.
With the ever increasing use of candles in and around the home either for interior decoration or aromatherapy, it is extremely important to use proper precautionary measures when using them.
We recommends the following safety tips to help ensure safe candle usage:
Never leave a lit candle unattended in any room of the house.
Never leave candles burning when you go to bed.
Never leave a child or pet alone with a lit candle or any open flame- Children and unattended pets can knock over a candle causing a fire and possible burns. With open flames, such as those on a stove, loose clothing or material can easily catch fire.
Never use candles near combustible materials such as curtains, drapes, bedding and or cabinets.
Never spray an aerosol can near an open flame.
If you are going to use candles, make sure they sit properly in holders on a flat stable non-flammable surface.